The Old Fashioned: the most popular cocktail in the world!
Old Fashioned is a cocktail made by mixing a sugar lump with Angostura, then adding bourbon or rye, a few drops of water, and finished with a citrus peel.
- 2 Dashes Angostura bitters
- 1/2 teaspoon-sized white sugar cube (198 cubes per pound)
- Dash of club soda
- 2 oz. spirit of your choice
- Large block of ice, straight out of the freezer
- Long orange peel for garnish
- Add the bitters to the bottom of a 9 oz. rocks glass.
- Add sugar cube.
- Add a dash of club soda and muddle contents until a paste is formed, but not so much that the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Add your spirit.
- Make sure your block of ice is frosty and cold from the freezer, not sweaty from sitting out.
- Use the spoon to scrape the bottom of the glass under the block of ice once or twice; this dislodges the muddled sugar from the bottom of the glass.
- Stir the ice.
- Squeeze the orange peel so that the essential oils rain down on the cocktail. Lightly brush the peel around the rim of the glass, and place the peel in the drink so that it looks nice and can be easily removed by the guest if desired. Serve immediately.
Whether it's an Old Fashioned, a new cocktail, or the timeless atmosphere of a bar, Los Angeles offers a variety of unique experiences for both the tourist and the expert connoisseur. Los Angeles Cocktails is more than a cocktail book or a look inside a bar; it is a photographic adventure that allows us to explore Los Angeles. A set of places that you will not find anywhere else and that captures the flavor of the city, whether it is bitter, sweet or sparkling.